A full application consists of the following documents:
- Application form (this form)
- Two-page description of the climate-smart project you hope to undertake as a community in partnership with a German community from the state of North Rhine-Westphalia. Competitive proposals spell out a vision and emphasize how your community connects different aspects of the energy challenge in order to achieve synergies. Competitive proposals also include efforts to build broad community support.
- A statement on support that covers these requirements:
- Your city will make available funding for two members of the city’s leadership to participate in the summer delegation to Germany in each of the three project years (transatlantic airfare at about $1,800/person/year; the other travel costs are covered by the program);
- Your city will conduct regular virtual meetings with the municipal project twin in Germany;
- Your city will connect with experts and researchers at the University of Minnesota to accelerate your community’s progress toward a lower carbon footprint;
- Your city will share findings and experiences with other MN communities at Minnesota forum events;
Your city will designate one individual to provide continuity across all three project years and participate in each year’s delegation.
- Copy of sustainability plan (if you have one)
Complete applications are to be sent by March 31 in electronic form and with the subject line “2016 Climate-Smart Municipalities application—YOUR COMMUNITY’s NAME” to the University of Minnesota’s Institute on the Environment, c/o Dr. Sabine Engel at ENGEL056@umn.edu.
Any and all questions can be addressed to Dr. Sabine Engel at ENGEL056@umn.edu.