What is Boreas?
Boreas is a year long cohort program that offers a space to reflect and connect for UMN Twin Cities students. Boreas is a network of people that seek environmental and social change and believe that interpersonal and interdisciplinary relationships are essential to facing today’s challenges. Boreas believes in the power of seeing potential in one another and re-envisioning problems as opportunities through bold, stimulating, and challenging conversations.
We want to create community and lasting networks among students and post-docs across disciplines that go above and beyond our own experiences and areas of study. We aim to create an open and vulnerable space that fosters growth, generosity, change, and belonging.
What will students selected to be in the Boreas program do?
- Engage in challenging conversations focused on pressing social and environmental issues decided by the cohort
- Plan two – three community events that will be open to the public
- Have the option to participate in additional leadership trainings offered by the Institute
- Receive a $200 stipend upon completion of the program
What is the time commitment for 2021-2022?
- Meet every other Wednesday from 11 am – 12:30 pm
- The cohort will determine whether events will be in person or online
- Estimated time commitment is 3-4 hours per month