Boreas is the administrative home of ANGLES: A Network for Graduate Leadership in Sustainability.
Our Vision: Develop a generation of societal change agents capable of drawing on scholarly expertise and leadership capabilities to catalyze collective impact on sustainability challenges
Our Mission: Grow the capacity for collective leadership and impact on sustainability by accelerating and improving leadership development in graduate education.
Who We Are: A network of higher education professionals engaged in graduate student leadership development.
Context: Efforts are emerging at many universities to develop graduate student leadership, but they are developing independently and not benefiting from shared learning. Now is a strategic time to connect programming, the people offering it, and students engaging in it to increase effectiveness and impact.
This initiative is needed for three reasons: First, graduate students are pursuing diverse career paths and applying expertise in different contexts. Second, navigating the institutions of science and inquiry requires savvy leadership as scientists work in more complex teams across disciplines and sectors. Finally, making progress on sustainability challenges depends on people who have both deep expertise and leadership capabilities. Leadership development responds to these trends by preparing graduate students to connect knowledge to action in transdisciplinary contexts to make progress on the grand challenge of sustainability.
• Raise the impact of individual programs and the field of graduate leadership development overall
• Improve efficiency in offering leadership development opportunities
• Remove barriers that students, faculty, and staff experience in seeking and offering leadership development opportunities
• Increase the pool and accessibility of resources – including knowledge, funding, and curriculum
• Maintain and grow momentum of individual and collective efforts
• Connect graduate education more fully to needs/expectations outside of the academy
• Student-focused: Students are at the center of our work.
• Inclusivity and Diversity: We value diverse people, experiences, and perspectives. We work to be inclusive of different kinds of diversity.
• Generosity/open-source: We are committed to sharing materials, knowledge, learning, and support in an open way to facilitate transformation.
• Collaboration: We prioritize connecting knowledge to action across sector and discipline boundaries. Collaboration as a key component of effective transdisciplinary work.
• Civic-mindedness: We value advancing the common good through our approach to leadership.
• Empowerment: Many people have the power to and are needed to make a better future. We aim to help students realize their own power and potential.
• Leadership as practice: People can get better at leadership by acting as leaders, reflecting on their experiences, and working to improve.
• Relationship building: Creating and maintaining relationships is a value in itself as well as the foundation for success in our work.
• Collective expertise: Addressing sustainability challenges demands many kinds of expertise. The needed expertise is not located in one person, program, organization, or sector.