Deadline for 2020-2021 Cohort Applications:
Sept 10th, 2020
Application goes live August 10th, 2020
IonE Undergraduate Leaders: Convergence of Ideas and Action
Sustainability Education’s Undergraduate Leaders Program helps emerging undergraduate leaders become real-world change makers committed to solutions-focused leadership. It encourages holistic thinking and respects the diverse skills and perspectives each leader brings to the table. All undergraduates are welcome to apply.
What is the Undergraduate Leaders Program?
- Undergraduate Leaders seek to advance their own leadership skills through individual practices and a project of their choice to help create the future.
- Undergraduate Leaders program provides a cohort of student leaders who collaborate and share ideas to make changes in our community.
- Undergraduate leaders reflect together and learn about:
- how we use lenses of equity, reciprocity, justice and diversity to define and think about sustainability
- how science, creativity, art and diverse ways of knowing can be brought together to make sustainability more interdisciplinary and inclusive
- how different versions of sustainability fit into the big picture governance and policy frameworks
Undergraduate Leaders provides an adaptive model for supporting emerging leaders.
IonE Undergraduate Leaders will choose an area of leadership practice that they want to develop through their participation in the program. Leaders will select from projects connected to the Institute on the Environment’s Impact Goals around sustainable land use, clean drinking water, and building a carbon neutral future. Students may work in teams on projects or individually.
Please contact Fatima Tufail at email@example.com.
2020-2021 Cohort Timeline
Applications deadline: 9/10/20
Interviews: Late September 2020
Note on meetings: Due to the current situation with COVID-19, cohort meetings are scheduled to be hosted online, but may be moved to in-person if the University of Minnesota campus reopens.
Kick Off Event: 10/10/20 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Monday Oct. 26th, 6-8pm
Monday Nov. 16th, 6-8pm
Monday Dec. 7th, 6-8pm
Monday Jan. 25th, 6-8pm
Monday Feb. 22nd, 6-8pm
Monday Mar. 22nd, 6-8pm
Monday Apr. 19th, 6-8pm
Final Retreat: 5/14/2021, 1-4pm
Mentor Meetings: Leaders also meet with the Cohort Mentor or another team mentor on periodic basis to receive individualized or small group coaching on their project and leadership goals.
Fall 2020 Award: TBD
Fall 2020: Application deadline TBD
These scholarships support students who need funding to free themselves up to spend time leading projects to address environmental grand challenges. Projects can be led on or off campus, but student applicants must identify a UMN faculty or staff person who is able to serve as project advisor. The project advisor will be asked to provide guidance to the student during the project and complete a brief evaluation of the student’s project.
- Scholarship recipients will receive half the scholarship at the beginning of the leadership project, and half after completing the leadership project
- The application for fall 2020 projects will be released soon
Questions about the scholarship can be sent to IonEscholarship@umn.edu.
- Cohort of leaders reflecting together on making change in the world.
- Workshops with sustainability and leadership content and thought-provoking speakers.
- A collaborative network of peers to take action on sustainability ideas and projects.
- Funding is available for sustainability projects.
- Attend all Undergraduate Leaders Meetings.
- Develop goals and action plans and reflect on your project/leadership practice and meet with mentor as a small group or individually to discuss progress periodically.
- Work with a network of your peers to take action on a sustainability ideas and projects.
- The estimated time commitment to work on your leadership project or practice is 4-6 hours per month in addition to gatherings.
We accept online applications at the start of each school year.
University of Minnesota Twin Cities undergraduate students from all disciplinary backgrounds with a passion for sustainability and desire to expand their leadership experiences are eligible to apply.
Yes! Leadership is a on-going practice. The workshops and leadership activities vary each year so participants won’t feel that the activities are redundant. Each cohort has its own characteristics and returning IonE Undergrad Leaders are welcome to re-apply.
The program is from October to April each year. Program participants can expect to commit to one cohort collaborative meeting per month and one small group meeting as well as periodic progress meetings with the Cohort Mentor. There will also be a 3-hour Saturday kick-off event in the beginning of the program and a closing retreat. Participants commit to spending time each month either working or reflecting on their leadership project or practice. This can include leadership activities that Leaders are already engaged in, new projects or ideas, or small group meetings.
Leadership practices or projects can be existing efforts that the Leaders are already doing and would like to focus their efforts on through their participation in the program. Many participants work with others in the cohort on a shared interest area, so you don’t need to have a solidified idea or project. Bring your enthusiasm to participate in the program.
Don’t fret. We encourage you to apply and bring your passion for sustainability and an open mind to join collaborative projects or develop your own idea of leadership practice.
The 2020 kickoff workshop will be held on Saturday, October 10. Monthly cohort meetings take place on Monday evening once each month.
No, applicants admitted to the program are expected to participate in all scheduled program events. Rare exceptions can be made.
We encourage you to apply and make a note of this in your application. We will see if it is possible to move the meeting times to another day, but will need to verify with the cohort before being able to do so.