SUST 4096 Sustainability Internship & Leadership Projects
The Sustainability Internship course, SUST 4096, is offered each Fall & Spring semester.
- Work on a sustainability project at a non-profit, business, local government or on campus.
- Students can apply for internships identified by the course instructors, arrange an internship on their own (with the approval of the instructors), or propose a leadership project under the guidance of a faculty mentor.
- Be part of a supportive cohort for developing professional and leadership skills & exploring strategies for leading social change in regards to sustainability.
Instructors from the Institute on the Environment, Lead instructor: Mary Oldham Hannemann
Fall semester: Tuesdays 2:30 – 3:45 PM
Spring semester: Thursdays 4 – 5:15 PM
Credits: 2-4 (Hours associated with internship varies from 2 credits = 4 hours/wk, 3 credits = 7 hours/wk, 4 credits = 10 hours/wk). Class time and coursework will require another 30 hours of student time throughout the semester.
You do not need to be enrolled in the Sustainability Studies Minor or have taken other sustainability classes to enroll in this class. All students are welcome!
Students enrolled in the class can apply for one of several pre-identified positions. In Fall 2021, we have opportunities identified at Metro Transit, the City of Minneapolis, the MN Department of Commerce, Ever-Green Energy, MPCA, and many more! Or, you can work with the instructors to identify a different opportunity.
Award: Up to $1,750 (depending on credits enrolled in for internship)
Ecolab Sustainability Internship Scholarships provide support for students who are interested in an unpaid internship focused on sustainability studies and/or environmental grand challenges. The internship must meet the following criteria:
- For Fall 2021, all interns are required to take SUST 4096 (Sustainability Internships) to deepen their experience.
- Students need to have enrolled for the class for the fall semester before applying for the scholarship.
- Students will need to follow up with potential internship sites to finalize the internship by the second week of the semester, preferably by the start of the semester.
- Scholarships amount varies with number of internship hours and credits.
- A supervisor has been identified at your internship site who will verify your work hours and will help ensure that you have a good internship experience.
- You are not receiving a salary for your internship work. Small benefits such as occasional lunches, free tickets, and parking privileges, do not count as salary. Modest stipends (less than $100 total) also do not count as salary.
- Stay tuned! We will reopen an online application early August.
- After completing the applications, submit an unofficial transcript to email@example.com.
- Candidates may be asked to attend an interview as part of the selection process.
- Scholarship recipients will receive half the scholarship at the beginning of the internship, and half after completing the internship.