What is the Boreas Sustainability Leaders program?
Boreas Sustainability Leaders is a year long cohort program that offers a space to reflect and connect for UMN Twin Cities students. Boreas Sustainability Leaders is a network of people that seek environmental and social change and believe that interpersonal and interdisciplinary relationships are essential to facing today’s challenges. Boreas Sustainability Leaders believes in the power of seeing potential in one another and re-envisioning problems as opportunities through bold, stimulating, and challenging conversations.
We want to create community and lasting networks among students and post-docs across disciplines that go above and beyond our own experiences and areas of study. We aim to create an open and vulnerable space that fosters growth, generosity, change, and belonging.
What will students selected to be in the Boreas Sustainability Leaders program do?
- Engage in challenging conversations focused on pressing social and environmental issues decided by the cohort
- Plan two – three community events that will be open to the public
- Have the option to participate in additional leadership trainings offered by the Institute
- Receive a $200 stipend upon completion of the program
What is the time commitment for 2023-2024?
- Meet every other Friday from 9 am – 11 am
- The cohort will determine whether events will be in person or online
- Estimated time commitment is 3-4 hours per month
Who is leading the cohort?
Each of the cohorts for 2023-2024 will be led by two Graduate Leaders and supported by two faculty mentors and/or IonE research staff.
How do I apply?
Applications for 2023-24 are not open yet. Stay tuned for when we reopen again this summer/fall.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date on upcoming opportunities!